What is the School Concert?
Since 1969 the Utah Valley Symphony has hosted 'School Concerts' for Utah Valley school age children to experience a classical music concert in a friendly, inviting way. Children of ALL ages will enjoy this concert!
Our conductor designs this annual 45 minute concert in a format that brings classical music to a level in which children of all ages can understand.
Bryce Rytting has a warm and engaging personality which brought him the distinction in 2000 of Brigham Young University's 'Teacher of the Year'. This is an honor given by the student body to a select teacher.
What can we expect?
The format of the 45 minute concert goes as follows.
- Welcome by our General Manager, Lance Jensen
- Concertmaster (1st Chair, 1st Violin) stands up to have the orchestra tune
- Conductor comes on stage and we perform a lively 5 minute 'overture'
- Conductor talks a few minutes about what we just played
- A group sing-in of Twinkle, Twinkle Little Star to educate about ABA form. Symphony demonstrate this in a piece.
- Young Artists Concerto winners:
- Haydn Piano Concerto in C Major, 1st mvt
Kathryn Rowley, age 7, American Heritage School
- Group harp piece: Salzedo's Tango from Suite of 8 Dances for Harp
Elisabeth Collings, age 12, Oak Canyon Jr. High
Annalise Drewes, age 14, Timpview High School
Caroline Howard, age 15, American Fork High School
Eliza Fichialos, age 13, American Heritage School
Savannah Moody, age 13, South Hills Middle School, Riverton
Hana Butterworth, age 14, Oak Canyon Jr. High School
Ella Oswald, age 15, Skyridge High School
Evelyn Gee, age 13, Moutainville Academy, Alpine
Julia Bigelow, age 17, Timpview High School
- Thank you for coming!
We would love to come! When is it?
|When: ||Wednesday, October 24, 2018|
|Where: ||Provo Covey Center for the Arts (map)|
10:30am - 4 seats remaining - Reserve Online (Starting August 1)|
Click below to get on the waiting list.
We will have a final tally by October 17th with those that have previously reserved.
Any unclaimed seats at this time will be opened to those on the waiting list.
Other notes for teachers
- Have children wear best dress or Sunday clothes
- Review early these Concert Etiquette Resources from MENC, including a quiz to give to your students!
- Home school parents: as a courtesy to audience and performers, do not bring children under 6 years old. Music will get loud, and can be startling to younger children, which will then cry, disturbing the performers and audience. Please use your discretion.
To schedule your school, class or home school group to come, Reserve Online (Starting August 1).